HOW TO GET THE BEST SPEECHES AT YOUR WEDDING
You’ve planned everything to the last detail. You want everything to be perfect, you don’t want to leave anything up to chance. You really don’t want your nearest and dearest to f*** up the speeches.
This is perfectly valid! Bad speeches can bore your guests and make things feel slow and awkward… So here’s how to get the best speeches at your wedding!
1. Choose a maximum of 3 people to give speeches.
2. Choose people that feel comfortable speaking in front of a crowd (if none of your loved ones are into that – that’s fine too! Get them to check out these tips).
3. Ideally, the total speech time should be a maximum of 15 minutes (so if that’s 3 people, give them a speech limit of 5 minutes each.
4. Give them a few hints of what you want them to (or not to) mention – don’t expect them to read your mind!
5. Try to avoid overused cliches… I can’t tell you how many times we’ve heard the line – ‘giving a speech is like sleeping with the queen… it’s an honour – but no one really wants to do it’.
6. If your chosen speech giver really hates public speaking – don’t pressure them! Less is more, something along the lines of: ‘I just wanted to say a huge congratulations to the newly married couple, and thank you to all of their wonderful friends and family for celebrating this day with them. Let’s raise a glass to the couple!’ is sweet, succinct and will be far better than them nervously rambling on, making everyone including themselves uncomfortable.
As I said, if you want to learn how to improve your confidence and give the best wedding speech ever – read our tips here!